I have come up with a massive list of 200 ways to burn 100 calories. It isn't as hard as you think to burn 100 calories and every little bit helps when it comes to losing weight! This list is perfect for people following the WW program and needing some Weight Watchers Ideas and Motivation!
200 WAYS TO BURN 100 CALORIES
The word exercise really does make me cringe. I have never developed a LOVE of working out despite my deep desire to want to love it. It helps to know that I can do lots of different activities to burn calories.
Please know that I am NOT a scientist and this list is not 100% accurate I am sure. Burning calories depends on a lot of factors…weight, effort, etc. This list is just approximate and is here to give you ideas on different ways to be active! 😆
These are based loosely on someone who weighs around 150 pounds. The good news is that people who weigh more will burn more calories faster! 🙂
BURN CALORIES WALKING
Walking used to be one of my favorite ways to work out. There are several different ways to walk that will burn calories differently. Here are some ideas!
- Walking the dog at a moderate pace for around 30 minutes
- Shopping at the mall for 35 minutes at a fairly slow pace
- Walking uphill at about 3.5 mph only takes 17 minutes to burn 100 calories
- Going up and down stairs at a walk for 11 minutes
- Nordic walking with poles for 27 minutes makes a whole body workout
- Walk backwards for 13 minutes–if you dare, LOL
- Walk around on crutches for 20 minutes to burn 100 calories
- Push a stroller for 30 minutes
- Walk around carrying an extra 15 pounds for 30 minutes
BURN CALORIES DANCING
I may not be any good, but I do love to dance. Most of my dancing is done in my kitchen while I am cooking and cleaning, but hey…it still counts as movement!
There are lots of different styles of dancing and they all help burn calories. Dancing also doesn't really feel like a work out even though I will get sweaty!
- Salsa dancing can burn 100 calories in 21 minutes
- Country Western dancing only takes 12 minutes
- General dancing around the house is about 22 minutes
- Cha-Cha dancing will burn about 100 calories in 25 minutes
- If you are brave enough to Swing dance you burn 100 calories in 25 minutes
- The Samba dance only takes 20 minutes
- Do the Jive dance for 33 minutes
- Hip Hop dancing is a blast and takes about 20 minutes
- Ball Room Dancing takes about 30 minutes to burn 100 calories
- Belly Dancing is around 33 minutes
- Pole Dancing can take about 33 minutes to burn 100 calories.
- Tango for 30 minutes
BURN CALORIES DOING INDOOR HOUSEWORK
I love that housework burns calories. It is something I spend a LOT of time doing. Considering how much housework I do each week I should be super skinny, LOL.
Here are some types of housework activities and how long you have to do them to burn 100 calories! Remember…you have to really put your all into these chores for the impact to matter!
- Mopping the floor takes 20 minutes
- Laundry takes about 46 minutes to burn 100 calories
- Light cleaning like dusting takes about 38 minutes
- Vacuuming takes about 25 minutes
- Washing dishes takes 40 minutes (guess that is one reason to do dishes by hand)
- Prepping food and cooking takes 40 minutes to burn 100 calories
- Rearranging the furniture in your home takes 14 minutes
- Sweeping with a broom takes 23 minutes
- Scrubbing showers and bathtubs takes about 20 minutes to burn 100 calories
- Washing windows only takes about 20 minutes (and yes my arms always feel it the next day)
BURN CALORIES DOING OUTSIDE HOUSEWORK
When the weather is nice I like to work outside my home. The problem in Kansas is that we don't have a ton of “great” weather…it is usually too hot or too cold or TOO WINDY! 🙂
Here are some outdoor activities that can burn 100 calories.
- Mowing the lawn (with a push mower, lol) takes 20 minutes–unless you are mowing uphill!
- Weeding the garden takes 18 minutes and your legs may be sore from all the squatting
- Washing that vehicle will take about 20 minutes if you really get into scrubbing
- Painting the house takes about 18 minutes, but you can't use a paint sprayer, lol
- Raking leaves and bagging them up will take about 25 minutes
- Bag up all the grass you cut with the mower for 20 minutes
- Chopping wood only takes about 15 minutes if you do it continuously
- Clean out the gutters for 16 minutes
- Put up or take down Christmas lights for 30 minutes
- Water plants for an hour
BURN CALORIES PLAYING SPORTS
It has been a LONG time since I played any “real” sports. This category is definitely not my most-used for burning calories….but you may love sports.
Here are some sports that help you burn calories.
- Play a half-court basketball game for 12 minutes
- Shoot basketball hoops for 20 minutes
- Play golf and carry the clubs for 20 minutes
- Flag football takes about 13 minutes to burn 100 calories
- Playing catch with the football for 35 minutes
- A casual soccer game takes about 13 minutes
- Tennis only takes 15 minutes to burn 100 calories
- Baseball/softball takes 20 minutes
- Recreational volleyball takes 30 minutes
- Beach volleyball only takes 12 minutes to burn 100 calories thanks to that sand
- Ultimate Frisbee takes about 30 minutes
- Lacrosse for 15 minutes
- Casual game of racquetball only takes 15 minutes
- Competitive Badminton takes 15 minutes
- Boxing/sparring takes about 14 minutes
- Martial arts only takes about 10 minutes to burn 100 calories
- Rugby takes about 10 minutes
- Archery for 45 minutes
- Karate for 10 minutes
- Judo for 10 minutes
- Bocce ball for 30 minutes
BURN CALORIES WITH ANIMALS
Animals are loved by most people and can make a workout more fun. It was fun to find different ways people can incorporate animals into a workout to burn 100 calories.
- Horseback riding in general takes about 20 minutes to burn 100 calories
- If you are riding a horse at a trot it takes about 16 minutes
- Grooming a horse takes about 40 minutes to burn 100 calories
- Take the dog for a walk for 30 minutes
- Give your dog a bath and in 25 minutes you will burn 100 calories
- Play fetch with your pet and it takes about 20 minutes
- Playing with your animals while sitting down takes about 1 hour to burn 100 calories
BURN CALORIES IN THE SNOW
Personally, I love snow and we don't get much where I live. I would love to be able to burn more calories in the snow! Here are some fun ideas.
- Shoveling snow takes about 16 minutes
- Cross-country skiing takes about 15 minutes
- Ice Skating takes about 20 minutes
- Skiing downhill on a moderate slope takes about 18 minutes
- Using a hand snow blower will take about 25 to burn 100 calories
- Snowshoeing takes about 15 minutes
- Snowmobiling takes about 40 minutes and it won't feel like a workout!
- Sledding for 15 minutes
- Bobsledding for 15 minutes
- Ice hockey for 15 minutes
- Make snow angels for 30 minutes
- Have a snowball fight for 20 minutes
- Build a snowman for 18 minutes
BURN CALORIES HAVING FUN INSIDE YOUR HOME
It is possible to burn calories just having fun at home inside with your family. Here are some easy ideas.
- Play ping-pong for 25 minutes
- Charades with the family for 35 minutes
- A friendly dart game for 40 minutes
- Family game night for one hour will burn 60 minutes
- Wii Tennis burns 100 calories in 25 minutes
- Play Twister with the kids for 20 minutes
- Video games played for an hour will burn 100 calories
- Laugh with your kids for 35 minutes to burn 100 calories
- Yo-Yo for 25 minutes
- Wrestle on the living room floor with the family for 7 minutes
- Wii Bowling for 35 minutes burns 100 calories
- Play pool with your spouse for 42 minutes
- Sit and play with the kids for 23 minutes
BURN CALORIES HAVING FUN OUTSIDE
There are tons of fun ways to burn calories outside having FUN! It doesn't all have to be chores, LOL.
- Play Hopscotch for 19 minutes
- Go hiking for 17 minutes
- Jump on the trampoline for 28 minutes
- Family game of frisbee for 35 minutes
- Friendly game of horseshoes for 35 minutes will burn 100 calories
- Play hacky sack for 30 minutes
- Juggle for 30 minutes to burn 100 calories and impress your friends with your skills!
- Game of kickball for 15 minutes
- Mini golf for 30 minutes
- Have a hula hoop contest for 20 minutes
- Jump rope for 10 minutes
- Do cartwheels for 10 minutes to burn 100 calories–you might be dizzy though!
- Go on a leisurely bike ride with the family for 20 minutes
- Swing with the kids at the park for 30 minutes
- Rollerblade for 17 minutes
- Shuffleboard takes about 50 minutes to burn 100 calories
- Skateboarding takes about 25 minutes
- Foursquare for 20 minutes
- Field hockey for 15 minutes
- Paintball for 20 minutes
- A game of croquet for 40 minutes
- Skip for 9 straight minutes
- Roller skating for 14 minutes
BURN CALORIES IN THE WATER
Most people know that swimming is a wonderful form of exercise. There are lots of other water activities that burn calories.
Here are some ideas to burn 100 calories in or around the water.
- Swim laps at a moderate pace for 15 minutes
- Do water aerobics for 23 minutes
- Tread water for 23 minutes
- Go water skiing for 15 minutes
- Canoeing leisurely for 30 minutes
- Kayaking for 20 minutes
- Surfing with a board or without for 30 minutes
- Sit in a hot tub or jacuzzi for an hour to burn 100 calories
- Scuba dive for 8 minutes
- Snorkel for about 15 minutes
- Sailing for 50 minutes should burn around 100 calories
- Go paddle boating for 30 minutes (yes you have to paddle, LOL)
- Do the backstroke for 15 minutes
- Play water polo for 10 minutes
- Go whitewater rafting for 25 minutes
- Go fishing for 50 minutes
- Kneeboarding for 20 minutes
- Wakeboarding for 20 minutes
- Windsurfing for 30 minutes
- Stand Up Paddle Boarding for 15 minutes
- Jump off the diving board repeatedly for 30 minutes
BURN CALORIES WITH HOME WORKOUTS
Lots of people like to save money on gym memberships by working out at home. There are lots of ways to change up your at-home workouts.
These home workout ideas will burn 100 calories.
- Jump rope for 10 minutes
- Do jumping jacks for 22 minutes
- Do a high-intensity Wii workout for 30 minutes
- Pilates for 40 minutes
- Yoga for 40 minutes will burn 100 calories
- Free weights for 27 minutes
- Do a moderate-intensity workout DVD for 12 minutes
- Jog in place for 13 minutes
- March in place vigorously for 16 minutes
- Stretch for 40 minutes
- Crunches for 12 straight minutes
- Strength training for 30 minutes with light weights
BURN CALORIES AT THE GYM
We know that going to the gym will help us burn calories unless we just sit and watch! Here are some ways to burn 100 calories at the gym.
- Use the Elliptical for 12 minutes
- Walk on the treadmill for 15 minutes at light effort
- Cycle at a moderate effort for 15 minutes
- Use the rowing machine for 15 minutes
- Weight lifting for 17 minutes vigorously
- Use the punchbag for 15 minutes with extra effort
- Sit in the sauna for 15 minutes
- Ride the stationary bike at 20 MPH for 5 minutes
- Use the stair step machine at light effort for 15 minutes
- Run on the treadmill at 6.0 MPH for 10 minutes
BURN CALORIES TAKING FITNESS CLASSES
Fitness classes are fun way to learn new skills and get a great work out in too. Most local gyms offer tons of different classes at different times throughout the day and evening.
These fitness classes will help you burn 100 calories.
- Barre Class for 17 minutes
- Zumba class for 12 minutes
- Spinning class for 14 minutes
- Jazzercise class for 20 minutes
- Step Aerobics class for 14 minutes
- High Impact Aerobics class for 15 minutes
- Cardio Dance Class for 15 minutes
- Kickboxing Class for 10 minutes
- Circuit Training Class for 10 minutes
BURN CALORIES IN UNUSUAL WAYS
How about burning calories in ways you may have never thought of before? Here are some unusual ways you can burn 100 calories!
- Give someone a massage for 25 minutes
- Try on clothes in a store for 30 minutes
- Chew gum for 55 minutes (make sure it is sugar-free)
- Sew for an hour
- Type on a keyboard for an hour
- Clap your hands together for 45 minutes
- Write with a pencil for 45 minutes
- Wrap 21 gifts
- Ride a unicycle for 25 minutes
- Trap shooting standing up for an hour
- Laying carpet or tile for 25 minutes
- Watch a horror movie for 90 minutes
- Picking fruit off trees for 45 minutes
- Digging in the dirt with a shovel for 25 minutes
- Riding a motorcycle for an hour
BURN CALORIES WITH MUSIC
Who knew that music could lead to a small workout. Here are some ways that music can lead to burning calories.
- Play piano for 40 minutes
- Conduct music for an hour
- Play the drums for 30 minutes
- Standing up while playing guitar for 45 minutes
- Play an instrument in the marching band for 30 minutes
BURN CALORIES WITH AN ADRENALINE RUSH
Adrenaline junkies can burn a lot of calories. Here are some more exciting ways to burn 100 calories.
- Rock Climbing for 10 minutes
- Cliff Diving for 10 minutes
- Paragliding for 30 minutes
- Rappelling for 15 minutes
BURN CALORIES WITHOUT EVEN TRYING
My favorite way to burn calories is without even trying, LOL. Now I wouldn't suggest hanging your hat on these activities in order to lose weight…but they do actually burn calories.
- Stand up for 80 minutes
- Shower for 45 minutes
- Sleep for 2 hours (my personal favorite!)
- Read for an hour
- Sing for 50 minutes
- Bowl for 30 minutes
- Slow Dance for 26 minutes
- Sit in stand-still traffic for an hour
HOW DO YOU BURN 100 CALORIES?
What is your favorite way to burn 100 calories quick? If you have an idea that is not on my list be sure to comment and let me know! I tried to think of every possible way to burn calories…but I know I missed some good ones!
- Butterfinger Teacher Appreciation Gift Tag Printable - March 30, 2023
- More Weight Watchers Changes in 2023 - March 25, 2023
- Printable Easter Bunny Note to Child - March 20, 2023
Leave a Reply