Several years ago my husband and I took a quick break for the weekend and went to stay in a hotel about 30 minutes from our small town. It was my birthday week and my husband told me that I could pick what we did! I thought it would be fun to explore a local antique mall. It was a date idea that I had heard about somewhere and thought we should try out!
My husband was less than enthusiastic, but he went along like a good sport! Imagine his surprise when he actually enjoyed it! I had to drag him out of there by the end of the afternoon!
A date to an antique mall may not be high up on your list of date ideas….and it wasn't on ours either until we did it. Couples of all ages can have a really fun time at a big antique mall! It is something different….and different can be good. It can break up the monotony of dating. We love to go to dinner and a movie. We both love seeing movies, but sometimes we need a break from the same old same old!! Coming up with a new date idea can be hard…but think outside the box and get out of your comfort zone once in a while!
Here are a few reasons that an Antique Mall Date can be a lot of fun:
1. You get to spend even more time together! Most antique malls are going to take at least a couple of hours to look through. You may even have some that you could spend all day exploring. That is more quantity time together!
2. You can reminisce about your childhood. There will be lots of old toys and collectibles and some may remind you of items you had as a kid. We have a great time talking about our favorite toys growing up or what we always wanted, but never had.
3. You get to know things about your spouse's likes and interests that you may have never known. I found out recently on an antique mall date that my husband has an interest in small collectible coin banks. I can honestly say that this topic probably never would have come up if we hadn't been at an antique mall and he saw some of these banks and showed me. This was something that he had never mentioned in 17 years of marriage!
4. There are a lot of things to laugh about at an antique mall. One person's junk is another person's treasure….we have a great time looking at “junk” and being shocked at the high prices! We laugh about items that seem ridiculous to us, but someone else obviously values!
5. Antique malls aren't just for women. There are LOTS of items that men would have an interest in. I have seen booths of baseball cards, comic books, model cars, vintage hot wheels, old license plates, old-fashioned tools, etc. I think men that have an aversion to antique malls would be pleasantly surprised by how manly they really are!
On our most recent antique mall date we spend almost 3 hours browsing and perusing all the booths. I found a few treasures that I ended up taking home. Hubby didn't find anything he couldn't live without. We both had a great time and look forward to doing it again!
Here is a picture of 2 my treasures. I have a little addiction to buttons. Yes…buttons….I don't do the fancy collectible buttons….I just like basic buttons of any size and shape! I found this awesome lamp full of buttons. I will be redoing the lamp shade….so be watching for a DIY post when I get the time! I loved this glass jar full of buttons also.
Have you ever been on a date to an antique mall? What is your favorite date idea?