DIY Patriotic Suckers
Don't be intimidated by the thought of making homemade suckers. It really isn't hard and it is nice to know exactly what is in the candy you are eating (or sucking on, LOL).
I love that these DIY Patriotic Suckers only have 5 ingredients too. I had everything in my pantry except the cherry flavor. 🙂
How to Make DIY Patriotic Suckers
Package Your Suckers
I like to package my suckers to they last longer. If we are just keeping them to eat at home then I won't be too fancy with it, lol.
I will grab the Wilton Lollipop Wrapping Kit and just put each sucker into a plastic lollipop bag. This keeps them fresh.
If I am giving them out as gifts then I will be sure to use colorful patriotic ribbon to tie the bags!
Another fun idea is to get STAR shaped lollipop molds for these suckers. How cute will that be??
These will look great on my holiday table…right next to the Patriotic Edible Sugar Cookie Dough! 🙂 What are you doing special for the holiday?
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon cherry flavoring
- Red white and blue nonpareil sprinkles
- Non stick cooking spray
- Sucker mold
- Lollipop sticks
1. Spray a small amount of non stick cooking spray on a piece of paper towel and rub the cooking spray in the sucker molds.
2. Add about a 1/2 teaspoon of red, white and blue sprinkles to each mold with a lollipop stick.
3. In a heavy bottomed pot, combine your sugar, light corn syrup and water and mix well.
4. Bring your ingredients to a boil on medium heat stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula for about 7 minutes or until the temperature reaches 310° using a candy thermometer (caution this will be very hot).
5. Carefully (this will be very hot) pour your melted candy into your lollipop molds, let’s set for a few minutes and transferred to the freezer for another 10 minutes.
6. Carefully pop your suckers out.