Do you want your family to be more focused on caring for others in this new year? Here are some easy ways to make your family more missions minded in 2016 or anytime!
This is something that has really been on my mind and although we do try to help others….I would like to see my family even more focused on ways we can give to good causes!
Easy Ways to Make Your Family More Missions Minded
There are literally thousands of organizations out there that help others! I can't begin to list every non-profit group that is doing good work around the world. This list is going to show you some easy ways to make your family more missions minded. Lets start close to home….because if you have kids that is going to be the easiest place to start!
Do Good Through Your Local Church
Most local churches offer lots of different opportunities to help others and be involved in some kind of missions work. I know that my family has been able to help our local pregnancy crisis center, do projects around our town, give to a wonderful group that helps girls saved from human trafficking and MORE! These are all things we found out about at church and it was easy to help. We were able to do a community service project as a family and it was a fun way to get our kids involved in service!
Minister to Children
I think when you are trying to get your children involved in missions work…..it can be easier if they are helping people they can relate to….other children! There are LOTS of ways to help other children in the area where you live. You can take a day and sort through your child's clothes and pull out things that are too small or aren't worn anymore. You and your kids can take these items to a local clothing closet that serves your area. You can do the same thing with toys that aren't played with. This simple act of donating items that your children have helped collect from their closet can show them an easy way to help others.
Your family could sponsor a child through several very reputable non-profits. This can be an ongoing sponsorship that your whole family can get really involved in! I will mention a couple of my favorite groups!
- World Vision is a Christian humanitarian organization dedicated to working with children, families and their communities worldwide to reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty and injustice. They work in nearly 100 countries and offer sponsorship in more than 50 of those countries. Their vision statement says: “Our vision for every child, life in all its fullness. Our prayer for every heart, the will to make it so.” World Vision aims to address the underlying causes of poverty by improving the well-being of children in sustainable ways alongside donors and the communities who have the “will” to achieve this vision.
- Prison Fellowship Angel Tree wants to help the 2.7 million children in the U.S. that may be experiencing abandonment, loneliness and shame from having a mom or dad in prison. For many, it may also include following their parents down the same destructive road to incarceration. Angel Tree®, a program of Prison Fellowship, reaches out to the children of prisoners and their families with the love of Christ. This unique program gives you an opportunity to share God's love by helping to meet the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of the families of prisoners.
- Compassion International Child Sponsorship helps children around the world through monthly gifts, prayer and letter writing. Sponsors invest in the lives of children living in extreme poverty and that relationship communicates, “You are an important person!”
Ministry to Missionaries
There are thousands of people who decide to do missions work around the world. They leave the comfort of living in the United States and move to countries where life is much harder. They are away from their extended family and friends. This is a big sacrifice in order to help others. One easy way for your family to become more missions minded is to adopt a missionary or missionary family. Your family can write letters and send care packages to these missionaries and just offer support and prayer for them!
Most church denominations have a missions group where you can find out the names/addresses of missionaries. If you don't know where to look to find a missionary to sponsor…email me and I will help you! 🙂
Minister to Service Providers
I think it is important to teach our children how important the service providers in our communities are to us. Some easy ways to make your family more missions minded is to help them remember the service providers that directly impact your own family. Bus drivers, sanitation workers, mail carriers are just a few service providers that you can reach out to as a family. It isn't hard to leave a bag of homemade treats in your mailbox with a note of thanks for your mail carrier! These small gestures will mean a lot to people who don't get much recognition for their hard work!
Help Victims of Tragedy or Crisis
It isn't hard to find a tragedy or crisis….just turn on the local or national news. Your family could help someone locally that has had a home fire or you could help others suffering from a natural disaster on a national level. Helping your local American Red Cross is an easy way to help people around the USA and the world who are going through a horrible disaster or tragedy.
I hope these ideas for easy ways to make your family more missions minded have helped spark some excitement in giving back and reaching others in the coming new year! I would love to hear what your family is planning to do this year to be missions minded!
Check out this idea for getting your whole family involved year round….12 Months of Giving!
- Butterfinger Teacher Appreciation Gift Tag Printable - March 30, 2023
- More Weight Watchers Changes in 2023 - March 25, 2023
- Printable Easter Bunny Note to Child - March 20, 2023
Leave a Reply