My kids have to many toys and this year I will be buying off this list of non-toy gift ideas for creative kids! There are so many amazing gifts you can give children to get their creativity flowing and I have gathered a great list of ideas! These non-toy gifts work for Christmas, birthdays or just because!
WHY NOT JUST BUY TOYS?
I am definitely not against buying toys! 🙂 Come to my house and you will see that my kids have plenty of toys.
The problem is they have too many toys and I like to give all sorts of different gifts. Giving non-toy gifts can be just as fun for kids and sometimes they like them even better.
I love crafty types of gifts because it helps kids tap into areas of creativity they might not know they have!
If I am buying a gift for other people's children I like to get them non-toy gifts because they are less likely to already have the item then if I get them the latest toy.
NON-TOY GIFT IDEAS FOR CREATIVE KIDS
CHALK OF THE TOWN
I recently had the opportunity to try out the new Chalk of the Town product line! (a big thanks to Chalk of the Town for sponsoring this post)
These craft kits are FUN and my daughter absolutely loved creating different designs on her shirt!
Here is the low-down on these fun products:
- Chalk of the Town is a chalkboard surface on t-shirts and book totes.
- You decorate the chalkboard with water-based chalk markers. The chalkboard can be wiped clean with a damp cloth and you can start over!
- The t-shirt kits come with the shirt, 3 markers, a stencil and a cleaning cloth. The shirts are erasable, reusable and machine washable.
- Tote bag kits comes with the bag, 2 markers and a cleaning cloth.
- There are also extra stencil kits you can buy or you can use any stencils you may already have at home.
I can honestly say that I was surprised by how much my daughter loved these products. She is very excited to wear her shirt to school tomorrow!
I love that these kits are affordable and work for boys or girls. If you aren't sure what size a child needs then buy the tote bag kit because reading is always encouraged! You can find all their products on their website.
It is fun to see the world through a child's eye and a camera is a great way to capture what they see. Even younger children can take pictures and there are a variety of different child-friendly cameras for sale now.
Giving a child a camera may spark a real interest in photography for them in the future.
Here are some options for different age groups:
- VTech Kidizoom Camera: this is good for younger kids ages 3 and up. My daughter had one of these and really liked it. The image resolution is poor so it won't be good for older kids! The great thing about this camera is that it is very sturdy and would be hard to break!!
- Ourlife Kids Waterproof Camera: this is great for kids who love to swim and are around water a lot. The image resolution is not the best, but it is waterproof and kids love being able to take underwater photos. This is also a low-cost camera for the budget!
- Traditional Digital Camera: for kids above the age of 7 or 8 years old I think a regular small digital camera is a great option. There are tons of good brands and the black Friday sales make them very reasonable to buy. The best part of a regular digital camera is that the photos are digital and you can sort through them before printing!
ILLUSTORY BOOK MAKING KIT
If you have kids who love to read and write books the Illustory Book Making Kit would be a good non-toy gift idea. These kits are super fun for creative kids!
The kit includes everything your child needs to help them write their own story book. They can write and illustrate their book. There is even an about the author page for your child to fill out.
The best part of this kit is that it includes a prepaid envelope for your child to mail their book in and they will get a hardback copy of their book back in the mail in 2-3 weeks! They will be published!!
CRAYOLA ULTIMATE LIGHT BOARD
If your child loves to draw the Crayola Ultimate Light Board is one of my favorite non-toy gift ideas. Drawing is taken to another level with the bright light and vivid colors of the markers.
The drawing board has LED lights in it so that the gel markers really light up on the board!
When the kids are done drawing they can just wipe their creation away and start over again.
THINK BOX INVENTOR'S KIT
The perfect gift for kids who love inventing things is here with the Think Box Inventor's Kit. This kit has over 700 items for kids to use to create anything their minds can come think up.
I love that this kit comes with a nice case to keep all the items inside. The sky is the limit on what they can create and it is a great price for parents.
This kit is best for kids ages 8 and up.
Although some people would classify Lego sets as a toy…I am not one of those people, LOL. I think Legos are a very creative way to play and it is a product that lasts the test of time!
We have a lot of Legos from when my oldest child (who is a grown man now, LOL) was young and my youngest child still plays with those same Legos!
I love that the company has expanded its product lines to include amazing selections for girls and both of my youngest daughters LOVE getting creative with Legos!
One way to stretch out the fun of Legos because I know they are EXPENSIVE is to check out Rebrickable. They show you other things you can make with different Lego sets so your kids never get bored!
Legos are something that make almost any child smile and is one of my favorite non-toy gift ideas!
ENTER TO WIN A FREE CHALK OF THE TOWN KIT
I would love for you to enter to win a free Chalk of the Town T-shirt Kit. This giveaway is open for US residents age 18 and older.
WHICH NON-TOY GIFT IDEAS ARE YOUR FAVORITE?
So which non-toy gift ideas are your favorite? What kind of creative skills does your child already demonstrate? Leave a comment and let me know!