The 40th birthday is a big one and these 40th birthday party ideas will help you make it special and memorable. If you are having trouble coming up with unique birthday party ideas this list will definitely help you!
WHY IS THE 40TH BIRTHDAY SPECIAL?
I think the 40th birthday is much more than just an “over the hill” kind of event. Turning 40 is a time to come to the realization that you are done with all of those hiccups you had during your 20's and 30's.
You are (hopefully) settled into the life you have worked hard to build and you can start relaxing a little bit and enjoying yourself!
It is a great time to look at all you have accomplished during the first 40 years of your life!! You may be surprised by how many things you have gotten done.
It is also a good time to make out that bucket list so you have some direction in the next 40 years.
GREAT QUOTES FOR A 40TH BIRTHDAY
I love a good quote and found some really good ones to help commemorate the 40th birthday. These are great for cards!
- At twenty years of age, the will reigns; at thirty, the wit; and at forty, the judgment. (Benjamin Franklin)
- At the age of twenty, we don't care what the world thinks of us; at thirty, we worry about what it is thinking of us; at forty, we discover that it wasn't thinking of us at all. (Annonymous)
- Life begins at forty. (W.B. Pitkin)
- The first forty years of life give us the text; the next thirty supply the commentary. (Arthur Schopenhauer)
- One of the many things nobody ever tells you about middle age is that it’s such a nice change from being young. (Dororthy Canfield Fisher)
- We don’t understand life any better at forty than at twenty, but we know it and admit it. (Jules Renard)
40TH BIRTHDAY PARTY IDEAS
In order for you to have a great party for someone's fortieth birthday, you really need to think about that particular person and what they like. This is a milestone birthday and it is common for people to try and go all out.
These ideas are for men or women. It is a good idea to know if the birthday boy or birthday girl prefers a large gathering or something more intimate with just close friends and family.
THROW A SURPRISE PARTY
I think one of the most fun parties are surprise parties. Throwing a surprise party is a blast and the birthday person is usually very pleasantly surprised.
Be sure to start your planning early so you can secure a party location. Invite the guests and remember to tell them it is a surprise! Figure out how you will get the birthday boy/girl to the party location.
Be sure to have a photo booth area so people can get their picture taken with the birthday boy! Don't forget to have the person's favorite foods available for eating.
If you want to have a standard birthday party with a theme that is a good solid idea. There are a lot of people who don't care for surprise parties and don't want to go anywhere for their birthday.
Having a party at home with a theme is always a great plan.
Here are some common 40th birthday party ideas with themes:
- Forty and Fabulous
- 40 is a Blast
- Cheers to 40 Years
- Hello 40
- Welcome to My Mid-Life Crisis
- May the 40th Be With You
- Fiesta 40
- Eat, Drink and Be 40
- Talk 40 to Me
- Beers and Cheers to 40 Years
OUT ON THE TOWN PARTY
Some people would prefer to do a special event for their birthday with a few loved ones. The nice part about a party that is out on the town is it doesn't require you to reserve a party room or prepare food. You can make reservations for these events and eat out to celebrate.
Here are some fun 40th birthday party ideas for a unique night out for the birthday guy/gal.
- Go to an Escape Room for some mind-bending fun
- Go to a concert of the birthday person's favorite band or singer
- Take an evening cooking class as a group
- Head out to a casino for an evening of chance
- Hit a local comedy club for a night of laughs
- Go to the best karaoke bar around and sing your hearts out to celebrate the big day
- Rent a fancy sports car for the day
- Have a retro night at an arcade and act like kids again
- Do a day party at a local paintball location
- Rent a limo and drive around the city like teenagers going to prom
- Go horseback riding for the afternoon
- A day of golfing at a nice course is always fun
- Go to a murder mystery dinner
- See a professional or semi-professional sporting event
BIRTHDAY WEEKEND CELEBRATION
Sometimes it is fun to celebrate all weekend long. Many people prefer experiences to gifts and a weekend getaway will leave everyone with wonderful memories to look back on.
Here are some ideas if you have the extra money and a few days to get away! Be sure to let your location know that someone is having a special day!
- Las Vegas is always a fun time for a weekend birthday celebration
- Head for the nearest beach and have a relaxing ocean weekend
- Camping out in nature can be a blast for a group of friends celebrating the 40th birthday
- For a low key and relaxing time try heading to wine country for a few days in Napa Valley
- A bed and breakfast is always a nice weekend getaway
ADRENALINE RUSH BIRTHDAY IDEAS
There are people who want to do something daring and unusual on their 40th birthday. This is a fun way to celebrate the big 4-0.
Here are some 40th birthday party ideas that make great parties or gifts.
- Sky diving
- Whitewater Rafting
- Drive a Race Car
- Scuba Diving
- Bungee Jumping
- Go Storm Chasing
- Rock Climbing
WAYS TO MAKE THE 40TH BIRTHDAY MEANINGFUL
I like to make birthdays as meaningful for my loved ones as I can. The parties are great, but sharing what the person means to us is also important.
Here are some ideas on how to make the 40th birthday extra meaningful for your loved one.
- Have a card shower for the birthday guy/gal and ask all their friends and family to send them a card in the mail
- Ask 40 people that know/love the birthday person to write out a reason they love them. Then you will have 40 reasons we love you…
- Create a photo slide show of the last 40 years in the person's life to show at the party
- Have a video made of friends and family telling great stories about the birthday man/woman
- Do a birthday scavenger hunt specifically for the special person
- Create a birthday photo album or scrapbook for the person as a gift
- You may want to ask friends and family to contribute so you can get the person a large gift they have really been wanting
- Make the person a handmade gift they will be able to keep and cherish
- Create a cool cash box that the birthday gal can open and open and open…
WHAT 40TH BIRTHDAY PARTY IDEAS DO YOU HAVE?
So how do you plan to commemorate 40 years of life? If you have some 40th birthday party ideas I haven't thought of be sure to comment below! I love new ideas for making a day special for someone I love!
Be sure to PIN this so you can come back and review these ideas in the future!