I have three daughters and slumber party ideas come naturally to me since we have hosted so many over the years. Birthday party ideas can be hard to come up with after you have thrown a lot of parties, but I think this list will help you have the best sleepover party ever!
Table of Contents
WHAT IS A SLUMBER PARTY?
Slumber parties are basically a group of girls who spend the night at the house where the party is being held.
Girls tend to hold slumber parties and boys have sleepovers! I think girls of any age enjoy a slumber party. I have known grown women to have slumber parties, LOL!
Sleepovers usually mean there are fewer kids involved…many 2-3 kids. Slumber parties are typically larger gatherings with more kids…5 or more!
Slumber parties are usually held to celebrate a birthday or event, but if your parents are really nice you can have a slumber party ANYTIME!
SLUMBER PARTY IDEAS
You do not have to have a theme to have a fun slumber party. We have done many different types of slumber parties at my house.
I do think having a plan or theme can help keep the party moving in the right direction. The key to a successful slumber party is to make sure the kids stay busy to avoid drama.
Here are some slumber party ideas to get your daughter and her friends excited!
SLIME SLUMBER PARTY
One of our most recent parties was a slime slumber party. I let my daughter have this party over Christmas break just for fun. The girls had a great time!
I let the parents know that this was a slime slumber party and asked each girl to bring an ingredient for the slime. We know that making slime can get expensive!!
The girls spent the whole evening making a bunch of different batches of slime. Hindsight is 20/20…and if we do it again I will set up some tables in the garage for the slime making to reduce the mess in my kitchen!
Here are some fun slime recipes to get your party started:
The girls all got to take home several containers of slime the next day and the party was a huge hit!
MINUTE TO WIN IT SLUMBER PARTY
Last spring at my daughter's birthday slumber party we did a Minute to Win It Slumber Party. This is a great way to keep the kids active and busy for a long time.
I planned out a bunch of different minute to win it games and even bought prizes for the winners. Keeping the games simple and easy was important so the kids didn't get annoyed!
There were a lot of laughs during the evening. One thing to remember is that there has to be a lot of parent involvement if you are doing these short games. Adults are needed to organize and time the games.
Once these short games are over the girls can sit down and play a board game. One VERY fun and VERY inspirational game is called Candy Collections. It is a blast for any age (over 5) and the best part is that it was invented by a 10-year-old girl. This is the perfect slumber party game because it is easy to learn, quick to play and everyone will enjoy it.
MAKEOVER SLUMBER PARTY
When my oldest daughter turned 13th we did a Makeover Slumber Party. This was an awesome 13th birthday party and all the girls had a great time.
My aunt is a Mary Kay consultant and she came in and did skincare and makeup lesson with the girls and they got to try on different styles of makeup. It was also very informative and they learned a lot about how to take care of their skin!
It was so fun to take before and after pictures of the girls so they could see the transformation.
CRAFTING SLUMBER PARTY
If you have a daughter who likes to be creative and do DIY projects then a Crafting Slumber Party may be the ticket to fun.
Take into account the age group you are hosting and then determine what kind of crafting projects would be appropriate for the group.
Some girls craft ideas for a younger group around the 5-7-year-old range would be:
- Paper Plate crafts are cheap and fun for younger kids.
- Make a mermaid and hula girl out of toilet paper rolls!
- Felt superhero masks are awesome for younger girls to make.
- DIY Sidewalk Chalk is fun to make and then they can play with it.
Girls that are 8-10 years old may enjoy some of these craft ideas:
- American Girl doll crafts are a fun way to spend the evening.
- This is a great age to teach girls how to make friendship bracelets!
When the girls are 11-13 years old they will want to do more involved crafts like these:
- Make personalized magnets they can hang in their room or locker.
- Making homemade lip gloss will be a hit for girls this age and it is easy to do.
Girls over 14 years old will want more involved DIY projects and these ideas are awesome:
- DIY Dream Catchers are a great project for teen girls and they will love hanging these in their rooms.
- Girls love to journal and these handmade journals are a fun project for a party.
- Most teen girls love jewelry and they will enjoy wearing these stack bracelets that they can make themselves.
DIY BEAUTY SLUMBER PARTY
Girls love to pamper themselves. What could be more fun than making products that they can pamper themselves with?
A DIY Beauty Slumber Party involves DIY and pampering! What a great combination.
Before you start creating your own DIY…it will be fun to add some temporary color to your hair with the Spa*rkle Hair Chalk and Barrettes Set. The colors are so pretty in the hair and they wash out with no problem which makes mom happy!
The girls may even want to do some body art with temporary tattoos. I love the Spa*rkle Rainbow Festival Body Art set because it is geared for tweens. The set allows them to get creative…but it is all temporary. I love the shimmery options!
Here are some fun DIY projects that kids can make themselves at the party.
- Lemon Mint Sugar Scrub smells amazing and is easy to make.
- Homemade eye makeup remover is something the girls can make again and again.
- A peppermint foot scrub is refreshing and fun too.
- Kids love taking baths and bath time will be more fun if they make some bath fizzies.
SPA SLUMBER PARTY
Another great slumber party idea is to have a Spa Slumber Party. This party pampers the guests and girls do love being treated special.
It is a good idea to have a few extra adult ladies on hand to help you make it a great spa party.
Here are some spa treatments that are fun to do at a sleepover party for girls.
- Pedicures: borrow some foot baths from friends and let the girls soak their feet and then paint their toenails.
- Manicures: get a big selection of nail polish and let the girls pick their color before you paint them up pretty. Spa*rkle Dual-Tip Nail Pens will take nails from meh to marvelous. They have a broad brush on one end and a fine tip on the other end for details. My daughter loves this kit…it even includes nail stickers.
- Facials: Let the girls see how a facial mask feels and then help them moisturize their skin.
CAMPING SLUMBER PARTY
Camping is not only for boys! Girls can enjoy an indoor or outdoor camping slumber party.
If the weather is nice you can set up a real tent in the back yard for the girls to sleep in. Fire up the fire pit and roast marshmallows and hot dogs. Spend time outside playing outdoor games that they will all love. Don't forget to try these nighttime trampoline games if you have a trampoline at home.
If the weather is not great for being outdoors that is okay too. Make a “tent” using blankets and your kitchen table. You can still make smores indoors and sit around telling tall tales!
RUNWAY SLUMBER PARTY
If your daughter loves playing dress-up then a runway slumber party may be in order. I remember one of my girls going to a slumber party where they did a fashion show and she had a blast!
Ask around and see if you can borrow a bunch of fancy dresses, shoes, scarves, and purses. The girls can take turns getting dressed up and walk the runway!
It is fun to put down a long piece of material that can be the pretend runway!! Don't forget to take pictures of the girls while they are dressed up.
Print off the pictures at home and then you can send some home with them in the morning!
COOKING CLASS SLUMBER PARTY
Lots of kids are interested in baking and cooking these days. How about use that interest as a theme for your daughter's slumber party.
Decide on a menu for the party and let the girls do the cooking! Be sure to pick recipes that are kid-friendly and that aren't too hard to make!
Don't forget to plan on dessert too!
Here are some great kid-friendly recipes for the party:
- Sheet Tray Nachos are easy to make and each girl can customize the nachos to their own tastes.
- Dessert Tacos look delicious and are fun for kids to make.
- Fruit and Cracker Pizzas don't take long to put together and are a great snack during the party.
- Taco Spaghetti is simple for kids to help make and is always a big hit.
- No Churn Lemon Ice Cream is fun to make and ice cream is always popular.
AMERICAN GIRL SLUMBER PARTY
Depending on the age of your daughter the girls may love having an American Girl slumber party. Ask all the guests to bring their favorite DOLL along and they can play dolls!
It would be really fun to do some doll-centered activities or make items for the dolls. Here are some easy ideas that will keep the girls busy:
- Try out these adorable doll hairstyles to make the dolls look beautiful.
- This easy craft lets the girls make gymnastic hoops for their dolls.
- It won't take long to make these sweet little drinks for your American Girl doll.
- What little girl doesn't want her doll to have a cute mailbox? These are so fun to make!
- Have the girls dress their dolls up and the dolls can have a fashion show!
Be sure to tell the guests that it doesn't matter if they have an actual American Girl doll or if they have another brand doll. All dolls are welcome at the party!
WHICH OF THESE SLUMBER PARTY IDEAS IS YOUR FAVORITE?
So which of these slumber party ideas is your favorite? Do you have an idea that I don't have listed? Be sure to let me know in the comments!
- Unique Fun Christmas Gifts for Tween Girls in 2023 - October 31, 2023
- Weight Watchers Skinny Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken - September 22, 2023
- Fun and Easy Ghost Halloween Popcorn Balls Recipe - September 20, 2023