- I am GRATEFUL to be alive and be turning 40. I can honestly say that I haven't gotten upset at any age I have turned so far. I am usually a pretty realistic person…I would rather be 40 then the alternative. 🙂
- I do not feel 40 years old. I really still feel around 18 years old. I admit that I am much smarter now then I was at 18…but inside I still feel like a kid. I was actually telling my husband about this recently…we were at a company event. I am sitting there looking around the room at all of the wonderful adults…most of whom were older than us. I felt like a little kid in a room of grown ups. I asked him if he felt like that…he didn't (he is much more mature than me 🙂 ). I wondered aloud if I would still feel like that when I am 70 years old!!! I guess that would be a good question to ask the elderly…do they still feel 18 inside?
- Do you ever look in the mirror and still see yourself like you were years ago? I definitely do….it is usually when I see pictures of myself that I am shocked to see how much I have changed in the past 20+ years! Maybe I should have been looking at pictures of myself more often….but I am usually behind the camera!
- Although I still feel young inside…I can tell that I have had some big changes inside. I am much more sentimental now. I am thinking about mortality a lot more often now. I worry about my parents as they age…I want them to be alive as long as I am. I spend a lot of time trying to capture moments and record them so that my kids will have those memories later to look at.
- I do have some regrets. I don't sit around and dwell on these regrets, but am trying to use them to make better decisions in the present. One regret I have is not spending more time with my grandparents when they were alive. I took their presence in my life for granted and allowed a busy life to keep me from spending extra time with them. Now that they are gone I miss them terribly and some days I would give anything to sit down and listen to their Godly advice just one more time!
- I do have a worry as I am turning 40….being the “old” parent. My husband and I spaced our children out…a lot! We have four children ranging from 17 years old to 2 years old. I know that having kids at an older age is more the norm now…but I still worry that when our youngest graduates high school that all of her friends will think we are her grandparents! We joke around about it a lot. My husband and I laugh and say we will have canes and walkers at our 2 year old's high school graduation! 🙂 I guess that is motivation to stay active and to keep coloring my hair!!
That about sums up my final thoughts as I am turning 40! How have you handled aging? Is it something that you stressed about? Would love to hear from you!