There is a way to make sure you have family fun no matter where you are located. The best part is this solution for easy family fun is electronics-free, TV-free, and extremely inexpensive. This is also great for families of all ages!
Table of Contents
CHEAP, EASY FAMILY FUN
Family time seems to have gotten more complicated over the years, but there is no reason for it. We can have a great time together with our relatives without spending a lot of money on expensive trips, movies, theme parks, etc.
Sometimes we need to go BACK to the basics when it comes to having an enjoyable time with our spouses and children.
As a child, I watched my parents have a BLAST almost every weekend with friends. They would get together at our house or at someone else's home. There was SO MUCH laughter.
What did they do every weekend? They PLAYED CARDS and GAMES. While the adults played cards….the kids would play games or marbles. I looked forward to these evenings and have the best memories.
Our society has gotten away from inexpensive fun. We need to get back to it.
There was little money spent on this weekend's entertainment. Everyone brought food and it was a potluck-style meal. No one was trying to impress anyone else.
CARDS ARE PERFECT FOR TRAVEL
When we travel we always try to take along a pack of cards. There is downtime during travel if the weather is bad or we have a plane delay.
Keeping a deck of cards in my suitcase barely takes up any space and can keep us occupied when we are bored. This is such a simple way to have some family fun on vacation.
Small games are also great to stick into a suitcase. I love games that come in a tin…they hold up great for travel.
Some of our best trips have involved evenings of game and card playing.
GAMES KEEP OUR MINDS NIMBLE
Now that I am over 40…I can tell a definite difference in my memory. My mind does not seem as quick as it used to…but I know the more I use it the better it will be.
Playing cards and games makes me think and use my mind in different ways than I normally do throughout the day.
Let's face it…playing cards is much healthier for me than watching a movie. I can have fun and give my mind some exercise.
NEVER RUN OUT OF CARD GAMES
I was really stoked when my good friend, Corinne, from Wondermom Wannabe, wrote a book…all about card games. I have always envied her family time…they are so active outdoors and with regular game time. She is an expert at making family time a priority. (a big thanks to Callisto Media for providing me a copy of the Super Fun Family Card Games book to preview)
The Super Fun Family Card Games book has 75 different card games in it. These games are great for all ages and the best part…the game directions are VERY EASY TO FOLLOW. There are even pictures for people like me who have more trouble picking up a new game!!
Whether your family is card-playing experts or total newbies…you will find some new game ideas you end up loving in this book.
I love the fact that the book is split up into sections based on how many players can play the game. There are sections for 2 or more players…2 players and 1 player! Up until this book the only 1 player card game I knew was Solitare. I am in the process of learning one of the 1 player games in the book….Pyramid! 😆
GAMES FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY
If you are done playing cards and want to move on to other games, the options are unlimited.
We have a whole list of favorites that we enjoy playing. Here are some games you may or may not have heard about…but all are worth a try! You cannot have too many games on the closet shelf!
- Sequence is a strategy game that is easy enough for kids 7 and up, but fun enough to keep adults entertained too. There are several different versions of Sequence to choose from too!
- Mastermind is a fast strategy game that is different every time you play. You get to test your code-cracking skills and this is great for teaching STEM and STEAM to kids! This game has been around for many years but has been updated and improved upon.
- Classic Rummikub is a rummy-style tile game. It is one of the best-selling games ever with over 55 million games sold. It must be good, huh?? I like that you can play it with only 2 people…up to 4. Kids over 8 years old can learn sequencing, pattern recognition, and planning.
- Ticket to Ride is a game we played for the first time about 2 years ago and we fell in love with the game. My favorite version is Ticket to Ride Rails and Sails.
- My elementary-aged daughter and her friends enjoy playing Candy Collections. We have played with her too and it is a quick, fun game.
- This is just a shortlist of game ideas…you can find a TON of awesome games to try over at Goliath Games. They have a wonderful selection and it is always fun to learn a new game.
What is your family's favorite game?
Be sure to SHARE this with your friends on social media!