A Weight Watchers Mexican Chopped Salad is one of those perfect Weight Watchers recipes you just can't get enough of eating. This filling and delicious salad is even better during the summer with fresh veggies!
WHAT IS A MEXICAN CHOPPED SALAD?
A chopped salad is just that a salad that has all the ingredients chopped up. The act of chopping up ALL the ingredients makes it easier to get lots of different “stuff” in each bite.
The traditional salad has larger pieces of food so you may only be able to eat a bite of cucumber because it is a whole slice. The chopped salad would have the cucumbers chopped into small pieces so you can get cucumber, lettuce, tomato and even a crouton on your fork at one time because the bites are small.
A Mexican chopped salad is just a chopped salad with extra ingredients that give it that Mexican flair we all love!
INGREDIENTS FOR A WW MEXICAN CHOPPED SALAD
One thing I love about almost any salad is that they are VERY easy to adapt for personal preferences and picky eaters. For instance…although this recipes hows onions…they would never be caught in my bowl. 🙂 You can add or subtract different veggies based on what YOU LIKE!!
- Fresh Corn on the Cob
- Head of Lettuce
- Unsalted Butter
- Bell Pepper
- Red Onion
- Lime Juice
- Black Beans
- Salt and Pepper
HOW TO MAKE A WEIGHT WATCHERS MEXICAN CHOPPED SALAD
This Weight Watchers Mexican Chopped Salad is not only easy to make…it is also pretty in the bowl. So many bright colors for spring and summer! I also love the addition of the beans for protein and fiber! It can easily be a full meal!
- Start off by melting the butter in the microwave for 15-30 seconds.
- Brush the corn on the cob with the melted butter and salt and pepper the corn if desired. Place on a pre-heated gas grill over medium-direct heat.
- Cook the corn until the kernels start to char. You need to turn the cobs every few minutes so that all the sides are equally cooked and charred.
- When the corn is done cooking go ahead and use a serrated knife and slice the kernels off the cobs. Set the kernels aside and toss the cobs!
- Now it is time to chop up the iceberg lettuce, arugula and cilantro into bite-sized pieces. Place it all in a big bowl and toss to combine.
- Go ahead and chop up the onion and red bell pepper and add them to a different large bowl.
- Add the rinsed and drained black beans, corn kernels, lime juice and cumin to the bowl of onion and red bell peppers and stir to combine it all. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Add this black bean mixture to the big bowl of greens and toss gently to combine.
- Serve right away with a dressing of your choice and a wedge of lime!
1 FREESTYLE SMARTPOINT PER SERVING
This is a very low point meal option. The entire recipe has only 5 Freestyle SmartPoints and those are for the tablespoon of butter. I divided the salad into 4 bowls and each serving was 1 Freestyle SmartPoint.
It is very hard to determine how many cups of salad this recipe makes and I am sorry the serving size isn't more exact. Unfortunately, every head of lettuce is a different size…as are the peppers, etc. Luckily, all of those ingredients are zero points so it doesn't make much difference!
It is possible to use a butter substitute for the corn or even use butter flavored cooking spray and that would probably bring this down to zero points!
WEIGHT WATCHERS MEXICAN CHOPPED SALAD RECIPE
You can download and print off the recipe for this Weight Watchers Mexican Chopped Salad using the recipe card below. It has all the exact recipe ingredients and instructions on a handy recipe card.
Be sure to check out my Weight Watchers Mexican Inspired Cookbook for more delicious Mexican recipes…all with Freestyle SmartPoints!
This Weight Watchers Mexican Chopped Salad is delicious and filling. Bright and colorful salad for spring and summer.
- 2 large ears fresh corn husks and silk removed
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 head iceberg lettuce chopped
- 2 cups fresh arugula chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 large lime cut into 8 wedges
Brush corn with melted butter and place on a pre-heated gas grill over medium direct heat, or indoors on a grill pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray set over medium-high heat.
Cook corn until kernels are slightly charred, rotating one-quarter turn every couple of minutes until each side is done.
Remove from heat and slice kernels from cob with a sharp knife. Reserve kernels and discard cobs. Set aside.
Add chopped iceberg, arugula, and fresh cilantro to a large salad bowl and toss gently to combine. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine diced bell pepper, red onion, black beans, roasted corn kernels, lime juice, and ground cumin. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and toss gently to combine.
Add the seasoned black bean mixture to the bowl with the chopped lettuce and toss gently to combine.
Serve immediately with your favorite salad dressing. Enjoy!
Divide this salad evenly into 4 bowls. Each serving is 1 Freestyle SmartPoint. It is hard to know an exact serving size because vegetable sizes vary SO much! The entire recipe has 5 Freestyle SmartPoints and it is for the butter. If you use a lower point butter substitute this could be a zero point salad.
If fresh corn is not in season, substitute 1 cup prepared frozen sweet corn and skip the steps for grilling the corn.
Don't forget to PIN this recipe so you can come back and make it over and over again!