These tips to make brushing teeth fun for kids will reduce stress and help children develop great teeth brushing skills! This doesn't have to be a struggle twice a day if you start early and make the experience fun for children.
WHY DO KIDS HATE BRUSHING THEIR TEETH?
I have four children and some of my kids just didn't like brushing their teeth. This is common among many children. Many parents wonder WHY their kids don't like brushing their teeth and get very frustrated. I totally understand!
Here are some of the common reasons children have an aversion to brushing their teeth:
- There may be a sensory issue going on. The child may not like the feeling of the toothbrush on their teeth and gums.
- It is boring! Young children do not like to feel bored and standing there brushing their teeth for 2 minutes twice a day can be kind of boring. They would rather be playing.
- Some kids are so independent that they don't like having parental instruction and assistance while they brush. The whole process becomes a battle and a fight.
- It could be painful if the wrong type of toothbrush is being used or if they have a new tooth coming in.
- Maybe they don't like the taste of flavor of the toothpaste and it causes them to want to forget the whole tooth brushing routine completely.
HOW CAN I MAKE BRUSHING TEETH FUN FOR KIDS?
Instilling good dental habits when kids are young is super important and can save them a lot of time, money, and pain later in life. Poor dental health has been linked to many other health conditions and concerns.
The good news is that you CAN make brushing teeth fun for kids and it isn't hard! With a little bit of effort, you can totally change that morning and evening ritual into something kids look forward to doing.
Here are some easy ways to make brushing teeth fun for kids.
SING SILLY SONGS
The general rule of thumb is that we should brush our teeth for around two minutes. Even as an adult, two minutes can seem like a long time. Imagine how long it feels to a young child?
If kids listen to silly songs while they brush their teeth the time will fly by and they will have a smile on their face when they are done.
Don't worry…you don't have to write a silly song! There are already a lot of fun songs available to make the time pass quickly.
The American Dental Association's Mouth Healthy Website has 7 songs with videos that you can watch. Your kids will love these silly dental songs!! Who knew there was a playlist for brushing our teeth, LOL.
USE FUN DENTAL CARE PRODUCTS
I am going to be honest…I like my toothbrushes to be certain colors. Yeah, I will still brush my teeth if I don't like the color…but why not just use one I like?
Kids are just like us…they have specific likes and dislikes. Maybe getting your child a superhero-themed toothbrush will make a difference in them wanting to brush their teeth.
Let kids help pick out their toothbrushes and toothpaste. It gives them ownership in the activity.
My youngest is currently loving her electric spinning toothbrush! She was excited to get it in her stocking at Christmas.
USE A DENTAL CARE CHART FOR KIDS
My kids loved being able to checkmark their activities on a chart. As an adult, I love doing it too! It shows we are accomplishing tasks and we love to feel accomplished.
Use a dental care chart for kids so they can have a visual that they brushed their teeth every morning and every evening.
I have a free brushing teeth chart for kids that you can download and print off at home.
A simple dental chart will give kids a little responsibility. If you want to add in rewards for a completed chart that is totally up to you.
It is fun to use “dental” themed stickers for the chart.
You can click the button below to download this free dental chart for kids. This is for your own personal use and the file should not be shared. Feel free to share this POST with your friends and they can come and download it too!
HOW DO YOU MAKE BRUSHING TEETH FUN?
What has worked at your house to make brushing teeth fun for your kids? Be sure to leave a comment and let us know!
Check out these other fun parenting posts while you are here:
- Hiking with Kids: 8 Ways to Make it Fun
- The Benefits and Challenges of Being an Older Parent
- Why You Should Create a Family Cookbook
- 5 Ways to Get Your Child to Drink More Milk
Be sure to PIN this for later and SHARE on Facebook!