This chicken stew recipe in the slow cooker is so easy and has a spicy kick that is irresistible! Pile all the ingredients in the pot in the morning and by dinner time you will have a hearty and delicious soup that can be mopped up with some crusty bread.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STEW AND SOUP
This is a stew versus a soup and many people wonder what the difference is between stew and soup.
The main difference is the amount of liquid in the dish. Soups tend to have more liquid and the liquid is more of the focus than the other ingredients.
Stews generally have enough liquid to cover the ingredients and are cooked long on low heat. The end result is a stew with lots of chunky ingredients that are tender with a little liquid.
I love soups and stews and do love the liquid and the ingredients, LOL. Usually, my stews are a little more liquidy because I add extra!
CHICKEN STEW INGREDIENTS
This chicken stew recipe is packed with yummy ingredients. It comes out hearty and filling! Feel free to add other veggies you like! It is easy to adjust the heat level too but decreasing or increasing the spicy spices.
- Russet potatoes
- Fiesta Corn
- Baby Carrots
- Chicken breast
- Minced garlic
- Onion powder
- Ground Cumin
- Chili Powder
- Black pepper
- Chicken broth
- Diced jalapenos
- Tortilla chips, optional to serve
- Shredded cheese, optional to top
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN STEW IN THE SLOW COOKER
Making chicken stew in the slow cooker is so simple. I love using my crockpot for soups and stews. It makes dinner time a breeze because all the work was done in the morning!
STEP ONE: PREPARE INGREDIENTS
Start off by preparing the ingredients.
Peel the potatoes and cut them into small bite-sized chunks. Cut the baby carrots into half or thirds depending on how large you prefer your veggies to be.
Dice the skinless, boneless chicken breasts into small chunks.
STEP TWO: ADD INGREDIENTS TO SLOW COOKER
Now it is time to layer the ingredients in the slow cooker pot. I use a large 6 or 7-quart slow cooker for this soup. It makes a lot!
Put the chicken chunks in first, then add the potatoes and carrots on top.
Add the fiesta corn (UNDRAINED) and the Ro-tel (UNDRAINED) next. To add even more spice you can get the spicy Ro-tel if you prefer.
STEP THREE: ADD SPICES
Now add the minced garlic, onion powder, salt, cumin, black pepper and diced jalapenos to the pot.
Stir these spices in gently.
The jalapenos are optional!
STEP FOUR: ADD BROTH
Now pour the chicken broth into the pot and stir to combine the ingredients and spices.
Put the lid on the slow cooker.
STEP FIVE: COOK
Turn the slow cooker onto low and cook for 7 to 8 hours. If you are in a hurry you can cook this on high for 4 hours.
Top your bowl of chicken stew with shredded cheese, if desired.
This chicken stew recipe is great served with tortilla chips or crusty bread!
WW POINTS FOR CHICKEN STEW RECIPE
This hearty crockpot chicken stew is actually great for Weight Watchers members. This does make a huge slow cooker full of soup.
I apologize that I forgot to measure out exactly how many cups of soup this makes. To determine the points I assigned that there were 8 servings in this recipe.
Based on dividing the soup into 8 equal servings here are the points:
The blue plan is 3 points per serving. The green plan is 7 points per serving. Lastly, the purple plan is 0 points per serving!
I will try to measure it out the next time I make this recipe!!
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST CHICKEN STEW
I think the best chicken stew is one that is packed with flavor and chunks of chicken and veggies. Here are some tips to make this a QUICK dinner to throw together in the morning and to make it taste amazing.
- You do not have to cook the chicken before adding it to the slow cooker. I have put raw chicken into COUNTLESS recipes made in the crock pot and it always turns out amazing.
- If you want to save even more time you could purchase precooked, grilled frozen chicken breasts that have already been cut into chunks. These can be added from their frozen state and will be totally cooked and done by the end of the day.
- I love to get jars of minced garlic in the produce section to save the time it takes to mince fresh garlic.
- Small cans of diced jalapenos are available in the ethnic food section of the store if you don't want to dice up fresh jalapenos.
- Remember to never take the lid off the slow cooker to check the food during the day. Just leave it alone. Removing the lid can really mess up the whole cooking process!! You don't want to end up with undercooked meat or veggies.
- Feel free to get whole carrots and peel them and dice them up if you don't like using baby carrots.
- Frozen corn works fine in this if you don't have any fiesta canned corn available. Sometimes I have trouble finding this at the store.
- Cajun seasoning is a great thing to sprinkle on top of your bowl of soup to make it even spicier without adding the spice to the whole pot!
- Add onions, peppers or even salsa to the pot when you are prepping if you want.
PRINT OFF THE CHICKEN STEW RECIPE
The complete ingredients and instructions for this simple chicken stew are available below and can be printed off if you desire.
If you make this chicken stew recipe and LOVE it, please leave a 5-star rating on the recipe. I would appreciate it more than you know!
This is a delicious chicken stew recipe made in the slow cooker with plenty of kick for a cold day!
- 5 medium russet potatoes peeled and cut into small chunks
- 2 cans Fiesta Corn do not drain
- 1 can Rotel do not drain
- 16 ounces baby carrots cut into smaller pieces
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts diced, cooked or raw
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons onion powder or 1 small onion, diced
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 46 ounces chicken broth 1-32 ounce container and 1-15 ounce can
- diced jalapenos, if desired amount is up to you and how much kick you want
- tortilla chips for dipping in stew if desired
- shredded cheese to top if desired
Peel and dice the potatoes into small chunks. Cut the baby carrots into halves or thirds.
Cut the chicken breasts into small chunks.
Add the chicken chunks, cubed potatoes and diced carrots to the slow cooker.
Add your fiesta corn and rotel plus the liquid from the cans to the slow cooker.
Stir in your garlic, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.
Add diced jalapenos now if desired.
Pour chicken broth over ingredients and stir to combine.
Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
Top with shredded cheese and serve with tortilla chips or crusty bread if desired!
Tips: You can increase the kick by adding more jalapenos to this stew. If you like it really hot you can add cayenne pepper also! This makes a large pot of stew...great for parties or when you want some yummy leftovers.
Weight Watchers Points: divide stew into 8 equal servings. Blue plan is 3 points per serving, green plan is 7 points per serving and Purple plan is 0 points per serving.
If you love soup recipes be sure to check out these other winning recipe ideas:
- Instant Pot 15 Bean Soup
- Taco Soup Crockpot Recipe
- Broccoli Cheese Soup in the Pressure Cooker
- Beef Tortellini Soup in the Slow Cooker
Be sure to PIN this for later and SHARE on Facebook!