I have looked at my blog as a business from day one even though I wasn’t making any money. I know that it can be very hard to have that perspective though. If you start off with a business mindset you will be more likely to have a successful blogging business! Here are some simple tips on how to run your blog like a business. Implementing these easy steps will really help you stay focused and organized on your end goals!
Tips on How to Run Your Blog Like a Business
Make a Schedule
Most jobs require a work schedule of some kind. Blogging really shouldn’t be any different. It helps to set up some “office hours” and know when you plan on working on your blog. This is very versatile and can be updated as you go, but having something down on paper will help you stay focused.
Setting goals is normal in business settings. Becoming a goal setter has been a challenge for me, but I am working hard at this. I have set quarterly goals for this year and am getting further then ever before because I am looking at the goals and working toward them. The key is to write the goals down. It doesn’t help to have phantom goals floating around in your head!
If I shopped at a store that was only open when they felt like it…I wouldn’t be a customer for very long. I think it is very important to be consistent in blogging. There are blogs I have visited that haven’t had any new content posted for months…and honestly I am not too compelled to return to that site. Posting consistently on your blog and on your social media are key to building a faithful audience.
Keep Good Records
Keeping good records is imperative for serious bloggers. What are your expenses each month? How much are you bringing in? It is easier to keep track of these things AS YOU GO then trying to figure it all out at the end of the year for taxes. Using a high quality business accounting software can help you keep immaculate records! Xero is an accounting software that has everything a blogger needs to run their blog perfectly. This software has invoicing, payroll, inventory, dashboards and so much more. You will feel like a professional business person when you have organized your blogging records with Xero. Here are some of the highlights of what Xero can do for your blogging business!
- Invoicing makes getting paid much easier. I really like the invoicing tool in Xero. Creating beautiful, customized invoices is simple and I look very professional sending these out to brands for payment.
- The invoices allow for immediate payment because Xero is connected with basically every payment software available today! So it works for Paypal, credit cards, Apple Pay, etc. Plus you can set up automatic reminders when you are not paid on time!!
- I can connect my business bank accounts to Xero for simple bank reconciliation. This is such a time-saving feature and keeps me current on my business finances.
- Many bloggers today hire virtual assistants, ghost writers, etc to work for them. The payroll features of Xero will make tracking these assistants EASY. There are even built-in time sheets for those virtual assistants who work for you on an hourly rate.
- The Small Business Guides on Xero are very helpful. There is so much information for small business owners and it is organized beautifully for easy access.
- Xero has wonderful on-the-go capabilities. Their apps for Apple and Android are great and you can do many tasks while out and about.
- If you are worried about the tech side of this program…don’t be! They have 24/7 support available. 🙂
Stay on Course
Most retail business don’t explode overnight. Business takes time and hard work. Blogging is a business that takes the same time and hard work. Just stay the course and keep on doing what needs to be done. Eventually you will see the fruit of your labor and you will be bringing home a paycheck! 🙂
How Do You Run Your Blog Like a Business?
What tips do you have to run your blog like a business? Is there a specific thing that is challenging for you? Be sure to get your free month trial of Xero HERE so you can get your records organized!
Latest posts by Jamie (see all)
- Easy American Girl Hairstyles Even Little Girls Can Do - October 20, 2017
- Weight Watchers Turkey Stuffing - October 18, 2017
- 7 Ways to Prepare Your Teen For Winter Weather Driving - October 16, 2017