Getting kids outdoors during the summer can sometimes be a challenge. We have to put our creative parent hats on to keep the kids busy! This DIY Sidewalk Chalk Paint is perfect for summer fun. The best part is having the kids help make the chalk paint is half the fun.
DIY Sidewalk Chalk Paint for Summer Fun
My kids love DIY projects. Some of their favorites are Root Beer Float Slime and making Paper Plate Masks! We have a hard time keeping a stock of sidewalk chalk. It is something that my five-year-old always enjoys doing in the evenings.
Knowing how much my daughter also loves to paint…I figured why not just combine those two activities into one! BINGO! She loved it.
Supplies Needed for DIY Sidewalk Chalk Paint
- 2 cups Cornstarch
- 2 cups Water
- Food Coloring
- 8 small plastic cups
How to Make DIY Sidewalk Chalk Paint
- In a mixing bowl, combine the water and cornstarch and stir until the cornstarch dissolves and it is smooth. It will be kind of runny.
- Divide the mixture evenly into the small plastic cups. Use the food coloring to make a different color paint in each cup.
- Use paintbrushes to paint pictures on the sidewalk or driveway outside. The mixture is thinner and runnier than regular paint, but just paint your pictures like you would with any other paint. The paint dries quickly, and it will resemble sidewalk chalk. The colors are very bright once they dry! It washes off very easily with rain or the hose.
Painting Fun for the Whole Family
There are so many fun outdoor activities and games families can do together. Making this sidewalk chalk paint can be added to the list. I found a big list of ideas for sidewalk chalk and many of these can be done with sidewalk chalk paint!!
How about having a family painting contest? It would also be fun to do a kind of “pictionary” game and instead of drawing the pictures with pencil and paper…paint the pictures on the driveway!
Do your kids love sidewalk chalk? Let me know how your sidewalk chalk paint turns out and what colors you make!
- Ultimate Summer Camp Packing List for Kids (Free) - June 5, 2023
- Free Printable Worm Coloring Page - May 31, 2023
- Cricut Fathers Day Ideas Dad Will Love - May 29, 2023
Leave a Reply