This easy Patriotic Berry Pie will look lovely on your table for Memorial Day or 4th of July this year. Packed full of strawberries and blueberries this pie is bursting with flavor and fruit. If you use a premade pie crust this summer dessert will be ready in no time!
Table of Contents
TIPS FOR USING FRESH BERRIES
If you can use fresh berries in this patriotic berry pie the results will be phenomenal. It is usually fairly easy to find inexpensive fresh fruit in the summer months at the grocery store and at local farmer's markets.
- When you are working with fresh berries remember to never wash them until just before you use them. Berries will retain water and get mushy if you clean them too early.
- Washing berries in a colander is a good way to gently wash them so they don't become misshapen. Rinse strawberries BEFORE you hull them so they don't get soggy inside.
- When you are picking out strawberries let your nose be your guide. The strawberries that smell the best will probably taste the best. Look for a deep red color and avoid any that are squishy or moldy.
- To hull a strawberry you start by slicing off the stem end and pluck out the stem and green leaves with a fuller. You can also use a sturdy drinking straw to hull the strawberry. Push the straw through the berry from the bottom to the stem end and the hull should pop right out. I like to buy reusable plastic drinking straws for this job.
- When buying a box of blueberries be sure to turn the box upside down and look for excessive stains on the bottom. This can be a sign that the berries are overripe and won't last much longer.
INGREDIENTS FOR PATRIOTIC BERRY PIE
I like to keep things simple in the kitchen so I have more time to enjoy life with my family. For me, that means buying a store-bought pie crust.
If you prefer to make your own homemade pie crust go right ahead. I am sure you have a special recipe you use for that!
- Store-bought Pie Crust
- Whipped Cream:
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Powdered Sugar
HOW TO MAKE A PATRIOTIC BERRY PIE
I love fresh fruit pies in the summer. They are so flavorful and PRETTY! This strawberry blueberry pie is perfect for Memorial Day and the 4th of July with the beautiful red strawberries and blue blueberries.
STEP ONE: BAKE CRUST
The first step is to bake the pie crust. You can use a frozen pie crust or a refrigerated pie crust.
Bake the crust according to the package directions.
When the crust is a nice golden brown just sit it aside to cool.
STEP TWO: PUREE STRAWBERRIES
Add one cup of strawberries to a food processor and push puree. If you would prefer to do this manually just use a fork to thoroughly mash up 1 cup of strawberries in a bowl.
STEP THREE: MAKE SAUCE
In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water, and the strawberry puree. Bring this mixture to a boil over medium heat and stir it constantly.
Cook for 3 more minutes until the strawberry glaze mixture beings to thicken and turn translucent.
Set the pan aside and let it cool to room temperature.
STEP FOUR: COMBINE BERRIES
In a large bowl, combine the remaining strawberries and the blueberries. Pour the strawberry glaze over the berries and fold them into the glaze gently until they are evenly coated.
Pour the glazed berries into the cooled pie shell.
Place the pie in the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours.
STEP FIVE: WHIPPED CREAM
While the pie is chilling you can prepare the whipped cream topping.
If you don't want to make your own whipped cream you can definitely use store-bought whipped cream. It is almost as good as homemade, LOL.
Combine the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl and mix with an electric mixer or stand mixer. Mix on low initially and then turn the mixer to high until the whipped cream is smooth, thick, and has doubled in volume.
This can take several minutes so be patient. It is worth the wait!
Add the whipped cream to a piping bag and fit it with a large star pastry tip. Pipe pretty stars onto the top of the pie with the whipped cream.
Tip: Fresh whipped cream is best if used within about 5 hours.
Store any leftover pie or whipped cream in the refrigerator.
EASY PATRIOTIC BERRY PIE RECIPE
You can download and print off this easy patriotic berry pie recipe via the recipe card below.
This easy Patriotic Berry Pie is packed with strawberries and blueberries and is perfect for Memorial Day and 4th of July.
- 1 pie crust refrigerated or frozen
- 6 cups strawberries divided, hulled and sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups blueberries
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Bake the pie crust according to package directions until golden brown. Set crust aside to cool.
Add 1 cup of the strawberries to a food processor and puree. You may also use a fork to mash thoroughly.
In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, water and strawberry puree. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook for 3 additional minutes, until the strawberry mixture begins to thicken and turn translucent. Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
Place the remaining 5 cups of strawberries in a large bowl with the fresh blueberries. Add the prepared strawberry glaze and carefully fold with a spatula until the berries are evenly coated. Fill the cooled pie crust with the berry filling. Chill in the fridge for 2 hours until set.
Place heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl. Use a stand or electric hand mixer. Start mixing on low and then turn the setting to high until cream is smooth, thick, and doubled in volume. Add whipped cream to a piping bag fitted with a large star pastry tip and pipe star shapes onto the pie.
Store pie and whipped cream in the fridge until ready to serve.
Note: fresh whipped cream is best used within 5 hours.
If you love finding the best red, white and blue recipes be sure to check these out:
- Patriotic Cupcake Cones
- Weight Watchers Red, White and Blue Cheesecake Salad
- DIY Patriotic Suckers
- Patriotic Dipped Ice Cream Sandwiches
Be sure to PIN this for later!
- Unique Fun Christmas Gifts for Tween Girls in 2023 - October 31, 2023
- Weight Watchers Skinny Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken - September 22, 2023
- Fun and Easy Ghost Halloween Popcorn Balls Recipe - September 20, 2023