This Weight Watchers Cabbage Soup Recipe is a great way to get full and did I mention it is a zero-point soup? It's one of those Weight Watchers recipes you can fall back on when you are hungry but are out of points! Plus the flavors are addictive!
WHY EAT WW CABBAGE SOUP?
I will be honest with you and say that I am not a big fan of cabbage in general. Cabbage soup is not high on my list of favorites, but it is a popular way to get a hearty meal without any points being used. If you are following the new WW PersonalPoints Plan you will get LOTS of veggies in one bowl.
This Weight Watchers Cabbage Soup recipe is perfect no matter which myWW plan you are following. Packed full of nutrients it is a super healthy lunch or dinner option for ANYONE trying to eat healthily.
WHY IS CABBAGE GOOD FOR WEIGHT LOSS?
I have heard people talking about cabbage soup for weight loss since I was a kid. Cabbage is a very low-calorie vegetable. One cup of cooked cabbage only has 34 calories!
Another reason cabbage is good for weight loss is because of its high fiber content. Foods that are high in fiber tend to help us stay full longer and may even boost our energy level.
Cabbage is also known to aid in digestion…and keep things moving down there!
CAN YOU EAT TOO MUCH CABBAGE SOUP?
Most people who are trying to lose weight have heard of the popular “cabbage soup diet”. It is supposed to be an easy way to lose weight fast. I am not an expert on this diet because it is not anything I would do myself.
It involves eating primarily cabbage soup for a week. I know it does allow a few other foods to be eaten, but not many! The benefits are that you can eat as much cabbage soup as you want.
The cons are that most people are unable to keep the weight off after they stop eating cabbage soup for all their meals.
Another con of eating large amounts of this soup would be that you will probably spend most of the week in the bathroom!
INGREDIENTS FOR WW CABBAGE SOUP
A great whole foods recipe that is full of healthy vegetables. It is easy to customize this recipe by adding or subtracting fresh vegetables you like or don't care to add. I also love to clean out my crisper drawers with this recipe. I don't think you can have too many extra vegetables in this magical soup!
- Green Beans
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth or Beef Broth
- Italian Seasoning
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Nonstick Cooking Spray
SUBSTITUTIONS AND VARIATIONS
One of my favorite things about soup is that it is typically very easy to substitute ingredients or make a variation of the original recipe. There are SO many different variations out there for cabbage soup…almost any recipe can be modified to fit your tastes and fit what is in your pantry!
Here are some ideas on different ingredients that can be added to this soup for delicious results.
- Tomato paste will give this a little more depth of flavor especially if you love a tomato-based soup. If you don't have paste on hand, a little bit of tomato juice will also do the trick.
- Dice up some bell peppers for more color.
- If you like a little heat in your meals, throw a dash or two of red pepper flakes into the pot.
- Adding cauliflower rice will make this a hearty soup for sure. Just be sure to squeeze out all the liquid.
- I love sweet potatoes and they can definitely be added to this soup. It will increase the calories and carbs though! Dice them up small so they don't take too long to cook.
- A great addition that will make this easy recipe heartier and more filling is to add lean ground turkey or shredded rotisserie chicken. Be sure to brown the ground turkey before adding it to the pot!
- Brown rice or white beans would taste great in the soup pot.
- Fresh herbs always bring a wonderful flavor to any recipe. Bay leaves are a great addition.
HOW TO MAKE THIS WEIGHT WATCHERS CABBAGE SOUP RECIPE
This Weight Watchers Cabbage Soup Recipe was made on the stovetop. It doesn't take long to cook and dinner will be on the table!
If you prefer, it could be made in the slow cooker or in the instant pot. I don't hassle with these options because the stovetop is such a great way to cook this soup. It cooks so fast!
STEP ONE: CHOP VEGGIES
Start off by preparing the vegetables.
Chop the head of the cabbage into small bits so you have around 3 cups.
Take an onion and chop it up so you have about 2 tablespoons.
Mince the garlic cloves.
Slice a large carrot into small pieces.
Trim and half the fresh green beans.
STEP TWO: PREPARE THE PAN
Place a large saucepan on the stove over medium heat. Spray it lightly with the nonstick cooking spray.
STEP THREE: ADD INGREDIENTS
Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt to the pot. Saute these ingredients for 2-3 minutes or until the onions are starting to soften.
Pour the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes (with liquid), and Italian seasonings into the pot.
Add the chopped cabbage, carrots, and green beans to the pot. Add salt and black pepper to your taste.
STEP FOUR: SIMMER
Simmer the pot of soup on the stove until the vegetables are tender. It will take around 15 minutes or so.
Check the taste and see if it needs any additional salt and pepper. If so, add it now.
STEP FIVE: ADD PARSLEY
Now add a handful of chopped parsley to the pot and serve immediately. Garnish with extra parsley if desired.
WEIGHT WATCHERS CABBAGE SOUP RECIPE CARD
This Weight Watchers Cabbage Soup Recipe is zero points on all of the former 3 myWW plans.
The current WeightWatchers Program points are ZERO points per serving.
You can download and print off the complete ingredients and instructions via the recipe card below. If you don't have time to print it now…just save the PIN to your Pinterest account by clicking the pin button located in the recipe card.
If you make this recipe and LOVE it…please come back and leave a 5-star rating. It would mean so much to me!
This Weight Watchers Cabbage Soup recipe is zero points and delicious. Packed full of fresh veggies and nutrients for a low-calorie meal.
- 1 small head of cabbage chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large carrot sliced
- 2 cups green beans trimmed and halved
- 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups low fat chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- handful of chopped parsley + more to garnish
- Oil spray
Heat up a soup pot over medium heat and lightly spray with cooking spray.
Add the onion and garlic, along with pinch of salt, and let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes till the onions is soft.
Add the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes and Italian seasoning.
Add the chopped cabbages, carrots and green beans, along with salt and pepper. Give it a good mix.
Simmer for 15 minutes till the vegetables are tender.
Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper accordingly.
Finish with a handful of chopped parsley.
Serve immediately with a garnish of freshly chopped parsley.
This soup is zero points on all previous 3 myWW plans.
The current WeightWatchers Program points are ZERO points per serving.
If you loved this Weight Watchers soup recipe be sure to check these other great soup recipes out:
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Weight Watchers Italian Chicken Noodle Soup
- Weight Watchers Taco Soup
- Big List of Weight Watchers Soup Recipes
Don't forget to PIN this for later!
- Ultimate Summer Camp Packing List for Kids (Free) - June 5, 2023
- Free Printable Worm Coloring Page - May 31, 2023
- Cricut Fathers Day Ideas Dad Will Love - May 29, 2023
[…] 14. Weight Watchers Cabbage Soup Recipe (zero point) […]