Do you want to make a batch of Weight Watchers Salsa Chicken in the Instant Pot? This easy Weight Watchers recipe is good so many different ways too!
Weight Watchers Salsa Chicken in the Instant Pot
Salsa chicken is popular and for good reason. It is VERY EASY to make and the chicken can be used in a lot of different dishes.
This is the perfect recipe for Weight Watchers because the points are so low and chicken is a staple on the WW program.
Salsa chicken can be made in the crock pot, stove top and very easily in an electric pressure cooker.
Ingredients for Salsa Chicken
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
- Olive Oil
- Taco Seasoning
How to Make Weight Watchers Salsa Chicken
This recipe only calls for a few ingredients and that always makes me smile. You probably have these items on hand most of the time at your house too.
- Start off by rubbing both sides of the chicken breasts with the taco seasoning. Don't be shy…rub it all on there!
- Now turn on the Instant Pot to the saute mode. Wait till the display says HOT and then add the olive oil and let it simmer.
- Place the chicken breasts into the IP and cook about 3-4 minutes on each side or until the sides have a golden sear to them.
- Add the salsa to the pot.
- Go ahead and turn off the saute mode. Place the lid on the IP and put the pressure valve to the “sealing” position.
- Pick the “pressure cook” mode. Adjust the pressure level to low and set the time to 15 minutes.
- When the IP beeps let the pressure release the natural way for 10 minutes. Then use a thick towel to turn the value to the venting position for a quick release.
- Shred the chicken with forks while it is still in the pot.
- Turn the pot back on to saute for about 5 minutes. Let the chicken soak up all the liquid and then serve immediately.
Salsa Chicken So Many Ways
There are so many ways to eat salsa chicken. It can be eaten as the meat for soft tacos. This can be used as the chicken for chicken enchiladas. This meat can be added to stews, soups or even to top nachos!
It is a great idea to make up a batch of Weight Watchers Salsa Chicken in the Instant Pot and have it on hand for meals all week long!
One Freestyle SmartPoint Salsa Chicken
This recipe does use 1 Tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. That is four points. BUT…since 1.5 pounds of raw chicken should translate into about 18 ounces of shredded chicken that gives us about 6 servings for this recipe. Each person can have 3 ounces of cooked chicken meat.
That equates to 1 Freestyle SmartPoint per serving.
It is possible to not use the oil and make this zero point. BUT…I think the chicken will end up being pretty dry and sometimes a point is worth it for taste!!
Weight Watchers Salsa Chicken Recipe
You can download and print off this Weight Watchers Salsa Chicken recipe card below for your personal use.
Weight Watchers Salsa Chicken in the Instant Pot is so easy to make. This salsa chicken is the perfect base for so many recipes.
- 1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 cups Salsa
- 2 teaspoons Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Liberally season both side of the chicken breast with the taco seasoning.
Turn the Instant Pot on the ‘Sauté’ mode. Let the display say 'HOT'. Add the olive oil and let it shimmer.
Add the chicken breasts and let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until both sides gets a golden sear.
Add the salsa.
Turn off “Sauté” mode. Put the lid on, making sure that the pressure valve is in the “Sealing” position.
Select the “Pressure Cook” mode. Adjust the ‘Pressure Level’ to “low” and adjust the time, with the “- / +” to 15 minutes.
When Instant Pot beeps, let the pressure release the natural way for 10 minutes and then using a thick tea towel, turn the pressure valve to “Venting” position to do the quick release.
Using two forks, shredded the chicken in the pot itself.
Turn on the on the ‘Sauté’ mode for 5 minutes and let shredded chicken soak up the liquid. Serve immediately.
This should make about 18 ounces of shredded chicken. Each serving size is 3 ounces. Each serving is 1 Freestyle SmartPoint.
The entire recipe has 4 Freestyle SmartPoints for the olive oil.
If you would like some more great Weight Watchers chicken recipes check these out:
Be sure to SHARE this recipe with your WW friends on social media!